In this episode of the Second in Command podcast, Cameron chats with Eric Ortiz, COO at Leveled Concrete. Eric oversees sales, marketing, and operations for the leveling and repair company, which is based in Texas. He has over a dozen years of experience in retail, finance, and construction, and has developed a strong entrepreneurial mindset. Eric is a member of the COO Alliance, a certified Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt and an Extreme Ownership Foundation Course graduate, which enables him to implement best practices and continuous improvement across the organization. He also co-founded Concrete Rocket, a consulting firm that helps contractors overcome bottlenecks and grow sales at a faster rate than the industry average.
Cameron and Eric discuss his remarkable journey from being a young, insecure sales rep to assuming the COO role at Leveled Concrete, offering valuable insights and lessons learned along the way. He emphasizes the importance of vulnerability, transparency, and being present in both personal and professional life. The conversation explores the power of embracing one’s true self and focusing on creating a positive work environment that fosters growth and success.
They touch on various aspects of leadership, including the significance of knowing your “why,” personal growth strategies, and the challenges of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Eric’s journey from a young, uncertain sales rep to a confident and compassionate COO is not only inspirational but also serves as a reminder that believing in oneself and fostering positive relationships are key ingredients for achieving success in both business and life.
In This Episode You’ll Learn:
- How Eric applies the principles from Michael Gerber’s “The E-Myth” to create flexible, yet structured systems for business operations for adaptability and efficiency.
- The skills and mindset shifts required for the transition from sales rep to COO.
- The strategies behind scaling a business, from focusing on systematization to planning geographic expansion while ensuring operational consistency.
- Eric’s approach to personal and professional development, and how investing in team growth leads to overall business success.
- The challenges that come with rapid business growth, such as maintaining quality, system integrity, and team cohesion.
- How Leveled Concrete innovates in the concrete raising industry and its impact on customer satisfaction and business growth.
- And much more…
Get Cameron’s latest book “Meetings Suck: Turning One of The Most Loathed Elements of Business into One of the Most Valuable”
Get Cameron’s online course – Invest In Your Leaders