Harley Finkelstein, COO of Shopify, is our guest today. Shopify is a rapidly-growing commerce platform with over 500,000 online stores, 3,000 employees, and $46 billion in sales.
In This Conversation We Discuss:
- Joining Shopify and Harley’s role for his first two years on the team
- How Harley continues to improve his skill set and mindset
- Maintaining a positive CEO-COO relationship
- How Shopify became a magnet for great talent
- Harley’s daily and weekly routines
- Harley’s top three tips for excelling as a second in command
- Why (and how) good leaders say no more often than they say yes
- When Harley first joined the Shopify team, he asked about what he needed to do. He was told, “Whatever you can.”
- For his first two years at Shopify, Harley was a Swiss army knife: “My job was finding the things that [the Founders] either didn’t want to do or didn’t know how to do”
- The CEO-COO relationship is like a marriage; you have to have date nights and systems in place to make sure your relationship stays strong.
- Connect with Harley: HarleyF.com | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Check out Shopify
- “Second in Command: The Misunderstood Role of the Chief Operating Officer”
- Meetings Suck by Cameron Herold