Our guest today is Hennessey Digital’s COO, Scott Shrum.
Scott Shrum is President & COO of Hennessey Digital, a digital marketing firm that was recently named to the Inc. 500 list of fastest-growing private companies in America. Hennessey Digital helps law firms, healthcare companies, and other businesses get found on Google through search engine optimization and paid ads management. The company operates entirely virtually, with about 80 employees in 17 states across the country, plus workers in Europe and Asia. Scott describes his primary role as translating the founder’s vision into reality by coordinating the efforts of brilliant marketers and software developers all over the world.
After graduating from MIT, Scott started his career in marketing and product management in the enterprise software space. Realizing how quickly the consumer internet space was growing in the late 1990s, he moved into digital publishing for several years before going back to school to earn his MBA at Northwestern. After he earned his MBA, Scott moved into a career in consumer packaged goods brand management, which he credits with giving him many of the skills he uses today. Most immediately before joining Hennessey Digital, Scott ran a well known national test preparation provider before that business was acquired in late 2018. Scott has had five main jobs since college, all in different industries, giving him a broad perspective on how to successfully manage businesses both large and small.
In This Conversation We Discuss:
- Scott’s introduction to CEO, Jason Hennessey and how they knew their connection was meant to develop into a business relationship
- How Scott plays the gatekeeper role to Jason’s entrepreneurial ideas, filtering them between what should be done and what should be put on the back burner
- How Hennessey manages a remote company with 80 full time employees
- Managing accountability with team huddles & strategy sessions
- How hiring an HR has helped bring more organization to Hennessey Digital
- Areas where Scott has grown over the last year
- Hennessey Digital started out as a purely SEO agency for law firms in the first five years of operations
- SEO for the legal space is the most competitive niche to rank for
- Hennessey Digital branched out into paid ads, social media and other areas where their clientele has a need
Connect with Scott Shrum: LinkedIn
Check out: https://hennessey.com
Get Cameron’s latest book “Meetings Suck: Turning One of The Most Loathed Elements of Business into One of the Most Valuable