Our guest today is John Wise, the Co-Founder and COO of Lovepop.
John grew up in the mountains of South Carolina, spending as much time outdoors and on the water as possible. He studied naval architecture and marine engineering at Webb Institute, where he met his future business partner and best friend, Wombi Rose.
After graduating from Webb in 2009, John joined Metal Shark Boats in Jeanerette, LA, where he designed, engineered, and project managed high-speed, aluminum boat platforms (including the US Coast Guard RB-S, which can still be seen in Boston Harbor today!). After 2 years, John was promoted to engineering manager, leading the company-wide engineering team.
In 2013, John left Metal Shark Boats to pursue his MBA from Harvard Business School, where he was reunited with his best friend, Wombi. On a business school trip to Vietnam, John and Wombi discovered the incredible ancient art of kirigami and were inspired. The duo took their engineering background and combined the paper art form with the slice form structure used in ship design and developed Slicegami™. And Lovepop was born. Lovepop is on a mission to create one billion magical moments with an imagination meets engineering approach to designing unforgettable pop-up cards. As COO, John is dedicated to making Lovepop the best place in the world for hungry, creative problem solvers.
In 2017, John was honored with Forbes 30 Under 30 award for arts and style. He lives in Somerville, MA with his family and, to this day, enjoys spending time outdoors and out on the water whenever possible.
In This Conversation We Discuss:
- How to connect with your customers through thoughtful and beautiful gifts.
- What it is like to partner with Kevin O’Leary from Shark Tank – the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Why mentors are important – the value of finding people excited about what you are doing, willing to give their time, and have functional expertise to leverage.
- The process of internationalization within a company.
- Walking through the steps of figuring a pricing model for your business.
- As yo are looking to scale, how do you know if a test is working or not?
Connect with John Wise: LinkedIn
Check out Lovepop: https://www.lovepopcards.com/
Giftology Book on Amazon . https://amzn.to/2JNvVD3
Free PR Book on Amazon https://amzn.to/2EJA0UX
EOS Traction Book on Amazon https://amzn.to/2EGniGk
Get Cameron’s latest book “Meetings Suck: Turning One of The Most Loathed Elements of Business into One of the Most Valuable